Hazard Insurance vs. Homeowners Insurance


So you’re finally ready to buy your dream home, or perhaps that dream investment property.

Your credit has been checked, your down payment and assets have been meticulously reviewed, and your employment has been verified by the underwriter.

It’s almost time to close on your loan, thank goodness.

This is around the time when your loan officer tells you to it’s time to get your insurance lined up. Specifically, he or she tells you to get a “hazard insurance policy.”

Err…what? I thought I needed a homeowners insurance policy for my property. It is, after all, going to be my home.

What is a hazard policy? I’ve never heard of such a thing.

What Exactly Is Hazard Insurance?

  • While homeowners and hazard insurance might be used interchangeably
  • Especially by loan officers and mortgage brokers who aren’t insurance specialists
  • We’re actually talking about two different types of coverage here
  • Hazard insurance only protects the structure itself, aka the mortgage lender’s interest in your property

Hazard insurance is an absolute requirement when purchasing a new home with a mortgage loan.

It is all too obvious that you don’t actually “own” your home when you sign on the dotted line for that 30-year mortgage.

The reality is the bank owns your home until the mortgage is paid off.

While the bank is “nice” enough to lend you a couple hundred thousand dollars, they certainly would not give you a dime unless you have insurance in place to protect “their” investment.

Put another way, your bank thinks you might not pay them back if your new home burns down and an insurance company doesn’t swoop in to rebuild it for you.

Without hesitation, you contact your insurance agent and ask about getting a hazard insurance policy.

Long story short, you wind up getting a homeowners insurance policy and your lender is ready to close your loan.

This may be the point where you wonder why your Loan Officer asked for hazard insurance and your agent never once used the word “hazard,” but referred to your policy simply as “homeowners insurance.”

You might even be thinking you don’t have the right kind of insurance. The good news is you’re all set, because a homeowner’s insurance policy not only covers the requirements of hazard insurance, but also goes far beyond that.

Hazard Insurance Is Not Homeowners Insurance

hazard insurance

Careful review of the information above will show you that your bank is ONLY concerned with insuring their asset, which is the physical structure you live in, that they lent you the money to purchase.

Hazard insurance is designed to cover only the structure your bank “owns” until you pay them back.

So if your home burnt down or was demolished by a tornado, a hazard insurance policy would pay for the cost to repair or rebuild the structure (known as a dwelling in insurance lingo).

Whether you decided to stay and rebuild or move to another state after the damage occurred, your insurance company would pay to have the home rebuilt and your bank would still have an “asset” to sell to someone.

You may be wondering why you would need any insurance beyond the basic hazard insurance policy to cover the dwelling you live(d) in?

Well, what about all of your personal possessions and the liability you assume by owning property?

That’s right…a hazard insurance policy does absolutely nothing to cover your personal possessions or your assumed liability for owning a home.

You would need a homeowners or landlord’s insurance policy to insure you against these perils.

While your loan officer may not sit you down and explain this to you in detail, the insurance industry has got you covered.

We won’t spend a lot of time going through the details here, but just know that your lender will give you the money to purchase a property whether you insure your interests (personal property and liability) or not.

Ultimately, they are only concerned with their asset, not your assets.

This is why a lender forced insurance policy doesn’t cover your personal property or liability.

This is the insurance your bank will put on your home if you don’t maintain insurance on your home.

[Types of homeowners insurance.]

Homeowners Insurance Is What You Actually Need

  • Your mortgage lender doesn’t specialize in insurance
  • They simply need to ensure that your property is properly insured
  • In case something happens that affects their financial interest in it
  • Your insurance agent or company will know what type of coverage you need

There’s really no need for concern here, as there aren’t really any insurance agents out there who can offer a true hazard insurance policy.

It comes down to semantics, but at the end of the day, insurance companies are going to offer you a homeowner’s insurance policy.

Your basic homeowner’s policy is designed to include coverage for your personal property, liability, loss of use and other basic types of coverage the average homeowner needs.

Again, no need for concern here, as homeowners insurance is exactly what you need to be as protected as possible.

Your lender doesn’t specialize in insurance; they specialize in closing your loan.

There is no way a lender can “force” you to buy insurance for your home’s contents and your liability…so they don’t. They simply require a hazard insurance policy.

Don’t give it a second thought. Insurance companies don’t even really sell “hazard” insurance.

The only way you’ll wind up with this inadequate coverage is if you don’t pay your insurance premium and your mortgage lender places your insurance.

Even then, you’ll receive a letter from your lender in the mail that specifically details the fact that they are forcing you into this type of policy, and that they’re going to charge you a lot of money for it.

And that it only covers the actual structure they own…heck, they’ll even tell you to go get a regular homeowners insurance policy, which is really what you need.

Tip: The premium for lender forced coverage is simply added to your monthly mortgage payment. If you don’t keep up with those payments, you’re on your way to foreclosure.

Looking for health insurance quotes?
Or homeowners insurance quotes?
Or life insurance quotes?


  1. Surdell Geter-Robertson May 26, 2016 at 10:45 pm -

    Looking for hazard insurance and the price

  2. tonya June 4, 2016 at 3:35 pm -

    I’m fixing to close on a house I bidded on,and on the buyer document they ask who I have hazard insurance with.We are getting the loan through our bank and in the loan papers it’s says we will be paying 88 dollars a month for homeowners insurance .Do I have to get the hazard insurance ,if the bank already requires me to have homeowners insurance?

  3. Richard Hanway August 11, 2016 at 12:58 pm -

    Tonya, hazard insurance is part of homeowners insurance. The only way to get hazard insurance by itself is by neglecting to get homeowners insurance. DON’T do that- you’ll get charged too much by your lender for a bare bones policy that doesn’t even provide liability coverage if someone is injured on your property. In fact, the lender is required to send a letter telling you that you can get CHEAPER, BETTER COVERAGE by buying insurance yourself.

  4. Patrick July 15, 2017 at 6:46 am -

    The reality is that the bank does NOT own your home, you do. That’s why your name is on the deed. The mortgage is a lien on the property.

  5. Lorraine Alves August 1, 2017 at 11:14 am -

    I just received a notice from my mortgage company stating my escrow account has a shortage and my new mortgage payment is going up by $500 a month. I have lived here for 2 years and have homeowners insurance. Reason is to cover hazard ins which I didn’t have before. Can I contact them to have them take it off my loan?

  6. Staff August 3, 2017 at 9:07 am -


    Insurance is typically required when you have a mortgage to protect the lender’s interest in your property. You may be able to pay it yourself instead of through escrow if they’re willing to let you self-manage it, but that’s between you and your lender or loan servicer.

  7. Tim June 22, 2018 at 6:11 pm -

    I lost my home to the Thomas Fire (Ventura, CA), December 4, 2017. I had homeowners insurance and Hazard insurance. My homeowner policy covered the structure (60%) and contents (100%). I was issued a check in my name and the mortgage company for the structure. My mortgage company deducted the mortgage balance ($42,000.00) and issued a check for the balance. The hazard insurance company issued a check $3174.65 to cover the missed monthly mortgage payments from January through March (my mortgage company allowed me a three-month no interest, no payment holiday). I thought Hazard insurance was supposed to pay off the mortgage balance, effective December 4 when the structure was destroyed?

Leave a Response