If you’re in the market for health insurance, make sure you go with a company you can trust.
After all, there’s nothing more important than your health – and care can get pretty expensive if things take a turn for the worse.
That being said, you should look for a company that’s been around a while, with a proven ability to pay insurance claims (financially stable) and good customer service ratings.
Remember, it’s a lot more likely an insurer will pay your claim if they’re still in business…
Top 10 Health Insurance Companies
1. UnitedHealth Group: $80.1 billion – Market share: 12.36%
2. WellPoint Inc. Group: $56.3 billion – Market share: 8.69%
3. Kaiser Foundation Group: $48.4 billion – Market share: 7.46%
4. Aetna Group: $28.1 billion – Market share: 4.33%
5. Humana Group: $26.6 billion – Market share: 4.11%
6. Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC): $18.3 billion – Market share: 2.82%
7. American Family Corp. Group: $14.8 billion – Market share: 2.29%
8. Coventry Corp. Group: $13.1 billion – Market share: 2.02%
9. Highmark Group: $12.9 billion – Market share: 1.98%
10. Independence Blue Cross Group: $10.2 billion – Market share: 1.57%
The health insurance companies listed above may offer a combination of health, life, property, and casualty, along with an array of financial products as well.
It’s not necessary to purchase a health insurance policy from one of the companies listed above to ensure you receive adequate coverage or service – these are merely the largest health insurance companies around.
There are literally thousands of insurance companies out there to choose from; some focus on only one type of insurance or one specific region of the United States, and may be better suited for your individual needs.
Read more: Why do I need health insurance?