Shuman Roy is an entrepreneur, business owner, and musician. He started RoysNoys, LLC in 2013 as a music production and education service company. He also offers small business consulting and advisory services to help businesses get from start-up mode to turn-key operations. Shuman earned his M.B.A from the Stern School of Business in 2001 and has an undergraduate degree from Manhattan College in ...

Full Bio →

Written by Shuman Roy
Content Writer & Entrepreneur Shuman Roy

Joel Ohman is the CEO of a private equity-backed digital media company. He is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, author, angel investor, and serial entrepreneur who loves creating new things, whether books or businesses. He has also previously served as the founder and resident CFP® of a national insurance agency, Real Time Health Quotes. He has an MBA from the University of South Florida. Joel...

Full Bio →

Reviewed by Joel Ohman
Founder, CFP® Joel Ohman

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about life insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything life insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by life insurance experts.

Our flood insurance articles tend to get a few more visits this time of year.

After record snowfall this past winter, we’re expecting to field quite a few more inquiries about flood insurance coverage.

Many insurance agents will tell you they have a hard time convincing their insured to purchase flood insurance, as many homeowners incorrectly believe there is coverage against flood contained within a homeowners insurance policy 

But as mentioned countless times already, flood insurance is only covered by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It is not found in standard homeowners insurance policies. However, it can be purchased through insurance agents. Read more about where you can purchase flood insurance and how much flood insurance costs by clicking here.

One particularly frequent coverage question pertaining to floods is whether or not seepage of water into basements is covered by a flood policy.

So what’s the official word on basement flood coverage and water seepage? Let’s take an in-depth look and while we’re at it, let’s include sewer back up here as well since both are common causes of flooded homes.

If you find yourself in need of a new homeowners insurance policy, consider entering your ZIP code into our free quote tool. 

Is seepage covered?

Seepage resulting from floodwaters, even when the actual floodwaters haven’t entered your home, is covered by your standard flood insurance policy. There are a few items to note when trying to determine if your particular insurance claim will be covered. These items may seem sort of obvious, but nonetheless, must be considered.

1. The “loss” suffered to your home must be within an area that meets the definition of a flood. Meaning a particularly heavy rain that may have caused water damage, but has not been officially designated a flood, will not be covered.

2. The seepage or sewer backup must be a result of the flood. There may be instances where one or the other of these perils affects you but were not caused directly by the flood. It may be rare…but it happens.

3. There is no coverage for your basement if it does not meet the definition of a basement based on the NFIP guidelines. So we’re clear here, the NFIP considers a basement to be a room or building area where the floor is BELOW GROUND LEVEL ON ALL SIDES.

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does flood insurance cover basements?

It’s important to remember that there are two types of flood insurance coverage. Put simply, they are “building property” and “personal property.”

Building Property

The building property flood policy will cover your basement for the boiler, furnace, or water heater, and also items such as unfinished drywall for walls and ceilings, floor, nonflammable insulation, stairways, and staircases attached to the building and clean-up.

Notice that large electronic or gas “items” like the sump pump, boiler, furnace, and hot water heater are building properties and not personal property. Keep in mind these items are necessary to “keep the house running.” We make this distinction because a few items on the property list below, counterintuitively, aren’t considered to be building properties.

Personal Property

When it comes to personal property coverage for the basement, coverage includes air conditioning units, portable or window types, clothes, washers and dryers, food freezers other than walk-ins, and the food in any freezer.

Notice relatively large electronic items that are not deemed “necessary” to run the home (at least to the NFIP anyway), like window air conditioners and freezers, are listed as personal property and building property.

In other words, you need to buy both types of flood coverage to make sure you are fully prepared for a flood.

What’s not covered in the basement?

There are a few things you should move from the basement to higher ground during a flood. While these items ARE covered if they are not in the basement, you’d be out of luck if they are.

– Couches
– Chairs
– Televisions and other personal electronics
– Carpet
– Beds
– Other items not listed above are NOT covered in a basement.

What does flood insurance not cover?

In addition to what’s mentioned above, flood insurance doesn’t cover damage caused by earth movement or damage to any structures outside of your actual dwelling, unless included specifically as an add-on or endorsement. Flood coverage also doesn’t provide loss of use or additional living expense payments.

Your flood insurance also might not cover currency, precious metals, or other valuable items in your home, so you may wish to insure these separately. Talk to your insurance company about your specific coverage needs.

What’s the bottom line of flood insurance and seepage?

Flood insurance covers your basement against flood damage. If you live in an area with a high risk of flooding, it’s recommended you get a flood insurance policy.

Your basement needs to meet the definition of a “basement” under the National Flood Insurance Program guidelines. If you’re worried about having enough coverage, you can add additional coverage by purchasing separate policies with different companies. This allows you to insure more than just your primary residence. If you live in a high-risk zone, consider buying supplemental flood insurance. The cost varies depending upon location.

Don’t sign up for the first policy you see. Compare quotes from multiple companies to find the best deal with our free quote tool by entering your ZIP code now.