Shuman Roy is an entrepreneur, business owner, and musician. He started RoysNoys, LLC in 2013 as a music production and education service company. He also offers small business consulting and advisory services to help businesses get from start-up mode to turn-key operations. Shuman earned his M.B.A from the Stern School of Business in 2001 and has an undergraduate degree from Manhattan College in ...

Full Bio →

Written by

Joel Ohman is the CEO of a private equity-backed digital media company. He is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, author, angel investor, and serial entrepreneur who loves creating new things, whether books or businesses. He has also previously served as the founder and resident CFP® of a national insurance agency, Real Time Health Quotes. He has an MBA from the University of South Florida. Joel...

Full Bio →

Reviewed by Joel Ohman
Founder, CFP®

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about life insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything life insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by life insurance experts.

question mark

The short answer is no, assuming you don’t have a mortgage/loan on the associated property.

It May or May Not Be Required

  • If you pay for your property in cash or its free and clear
  • Flood insurance may be optional coverage
  • But if you take out a mortgage in order to purchase your home
  • The determination is made by the lender using a flood cert

If you do not have a mortgage, you do not need to buy flood insurance – but a bank can force coverage and essentially make it mandatory to protect their interest in your property until any and all loans are paid off.

This is largely because they “own” most of the property if you only came in with a nominal down payment, such as 5-10%.

There’s a lot of risk and they’ll ensure they are protected in the event of a flood or similar destruction.

Of course, flood insurance will only be mandatory if it’s determined that your financed property is located in a flood plain, or special flood hazard area (SFHA).

This is basically defined as an area that is at high-risk of flooding.

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Flooding Is the Most Common Natural Disaster

  • Most common natural disaster according to FEMA
  • Insurance companies often exclude natural disasters
  • Because they can’t afford to cover tens of thousands of claims at once
  • Which is why a homeowners policy doesn’t cover floods!

As an “insurance guy,” one of the most common misconceptions I hear about insurance is homeowners who believe their homes are covered if they encounter flooding. NOT TRUE!

A flood is the most common natural disaster, according to Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), whose name you may recognize from the hurricane Katrina relief efforts in Louisiana.

If you’ve ever been in a flood, you’ll know the catastrophic losses they cause.  The cost to repair everything can be astronomical.

Because of these devastating costs, homeowner’s insurance companies won’t provide insurance against floods.  Basically, they couldn’t charge enough money to pay for the losses that result from major flooding.

Regardless of the cost associated with paying flood insurance claims, flood insurance is mandatory for homes and businesses that may be affected, assuming you have a mortgage/loan.

And for that reason, good ole’ Uncle Sam has stepped in and created the National Flood Insurance Program.  The NFIP provides flood insurance throughout the U.S.

There are two ways to get flood insurance for your home:

1. You may live in a community that participates in the national flood program, in which case you can purchase flood insurance at subsidized, or discounted, rates.

This opportunity is typically available in highly flood-prone areas.

2. The second option involves a regular insurance company cooperating with the Federal Government to provide flood insurance.

Basically, the insurance company writes and services the policies and settles the claims.

The Government actually foots the bill for the losses.  An overwhelming percentage of flood insurance policies are offered in these Write-Your-Own flood insurance programs.

Tip: Don’t try to wait until you think you may be at risk of a claim from flood damage to try to purchase coverage.

There is a mandatory minimum 30-day waiting period for any new policies to go into effect, or for requests to increase policy limits on existing policies.

For the record, insurance companies will not add physical damage coverage or increase physical damage limits on an auto insurance policy if a hurricane or flood is predicted to take place by the national weather service.

Check out our Flood Insurance FAQ for more answers to your questions.