Shuman Roy is an entrepreneur, business owner, and musician. He started RoysNoys, LLC in 2013 as a music production and education service company. He also offers small business consulting and advisory services to help businesses get from start-up mode to turn-key operations. Shuman earned his M.B.A from the Stern School of Business in 2001 and has an undergraduate degree from Manhattan College in ...

Full Bio →

Written by

Joel Ohman is the CEO of a private equity-backed digital media company. He is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, author, angel investor, and serial entrepreneur who loves creating new things, whether books or businesses. He has also previously served as the founder and resident CFP® of a national insurance agency, Real Time Health Quotes. He has an MBA from the University of South Florida. Joel...

Full Bio →

Reviewed by Joel Ohman
Founder, CFP®

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about life insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything life insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by life insurance experts.

for rent

Protecting your investment is always a top priority. It’s imperative to understand the ins and outs of rental property insurance to make sure everyone’s best interests are considered.

This means both you and your tenants. You don’t have to be a landlord for long to know your livelihood is directly related to that of your tenants’ financial situation.

What Is a Dwelling Policy (DP)?

Rental property insurance requires a dwelling policy, so you likely have a “DP” on your investment property unless you paid cash (kudos if that’s the case).

A “DP” policy differs from a homeowner’s policy in that it does not provide liability or medical payments coverage for you. You likely have that coverage on your personal “HO” policy.”

DP policies usually only provide coverage for losses that result from fire, lightning or removal.

“Removal” covers your items removed from the house only in the event of a fire or lighting strike. You can insure a rental property against almost anything for additional premium.

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What’s Included on a Dwelling Policy?

A standard “DP” policy, available in the DP-1, DP-2 and DP-3 (better and more expensive in that order) provides four types of coverage:

1. Coverage A – Dwelling. This coverage part will pay for loss to the actual house or building (up to four units, five units is a commercial policy).

2. Coverage B – Other Structures. A detached garage would be covered here, up to 10% of coverage “A.” If your property were insured for $100,000, you would have $10,000 here. This limit is NOT in addition to coverage “A” on a DP policy (it is “in addition to” on a homeowner’s policy).

3. Coverage C – Contents coverage is provided here. Unlike a homeowner’s policy, there is no automatic coverage amount provided here. Each and every item you want covered here needs to be listed on the policy individually and results in a higher premium.

4. Coverage D – Fair rental value. If your rental property burns down, this coverage will reimburse you for your lost income while the property is being repaired. For coverage D to apply, the cause of loss must be covered, meaning a fire or lightning strike.

It is equally important to make sure your tenants are covered. If they are in a financial bind for any reason, you probably won’t receive your rental payments.

Renters can purchase an HO-4, or “renters” policy. This policy will fill the gap on the liability, personal property, loss of use and the medical payments to other coverage found in the typical homeowner’s policy, but excluded on the DP.

It is a good idea to require your tenants to carry renters insurance coverage as a stipulation to renting from you.

If anything, it demonstrates their willingness to be financially responsible.

There are rental policies available for as little as $15 per month that will provide a reasonable amount of necessary coverage.