Can I Get Car Insurance Without a License?

April 2, 2010 No Comments »

car insurance

Insurance Q&A: “Can I get car insurance without a license?”

The answer to this question depends on the circumstances surrounding why you don’t currently have a license.

If you have a suspended or revoked driver’s license, you might be out of luck entirely. There are very few, if any car insurance companies, that will insure a driver in this situation.

Odds are your license was suspended for a serious driving offense, or several minor offenses. Either way, insurers are not in the business of taking on a driver that poses an obvious threat for insurance claims.

On the other hand, if you’re in the process of obtaining a driver’s license for the first time, there are some insurance companies that will present you with options (even if you drive a purple Gremlin).

Typically, an insurer will issue an auto insurance policy for someone in this position…with a catch.

You will need to prove, usually within 30 to 45 days, that you actually obtained the driver’s license.

If, for whatever reason, within the 30-45 day window, you were unable to get the license, the insurance policy would be cancelled and you would be uninsured again.

As a result, you wouldn’t legally be able to drive in most states, as there are mandatory minimum liability limits necessary to operate a motor vehicle.

If you do not own a car, but drive others’ cars regularly, it is recommended that you obtain a non-owners auto insurance policy. This policy will provide secondary liability coverage behind the primary policy on the vehicle.

If you carry a Foreign, International, or Matricula license, there are many companies that will insure you. Typically, these companies are referred to as non-standard carriers.

Keep in mind that the majority of car insurance companies out there require a review of your motor vehicle driving record, or MVR, in order to accurately calculate your insurance premium and issue an insurance policy.

If you do not provide your driver’s license when shopping for insurance, you will typically be charged a higher rate or denied coverage.

Physical Damage Coverage

Some insurance companies will allow you to purchase a physical damage only policy while you are unlicensed to protect a vehicle you may own. It doesn’t matter whether you have a license or not…your car can still be damaged.

Suppose you have an outstanding loan on a vehicle. Your lender, or loss payee, will require the vehicle be covered for physical damage to protect their financial interest in the car.

If you don’t currently have a license, but plan on getting one within the time frame referenced above, you should shop online for insurance quotes and/or contact an independent agent to make sure you receive the best coverage at the lowest rate possible.

Remember, if someone has access to regularly use your car, you need to have them listed on your policy covering the vehicle, even if you’re not licensed.

Learn more about who is covered and when you are not covered when it comes to car insurance.

Looking for health insurance quotes?
Or homeowners insurance quotes?
Or life insurance quotes?

Leave a Response